Scent dances into my mind as I breathe in. Its easy access to memories impressed me as a little kid, when I particularly missed Seattle and my grandfather's home. The smell of the elevator and hallway outside his apartment are what I remember the most, and even now that combination of scents can trigger instantaneously various memories of my visits there as a spoiled, socially inept child.
Now, in this apartment, the smell of rice and garlic roasted bak choi, will similarly remind me of home, when my grandmother used to cook dinner for me. I didn't think much of it in those times, but now, when such days can only exist in memories, I am nostalgic for those dinners.
I recognize people by their scents. When people change their smell, the soap products they use, or deodorant, perfume/cologne, I reassociate them with the new, foreign scent, but nonetheless feel that they are a slight stranger to me. As if, someone who spoke with a southern drawl suddenly spoke in an English accent one day -they would be saying the same phrase, they are the same person, but our interpretation and perception of them changes.
I am overwhelmed by excessive perfume aromas. Being a victim of allergies, I, unfortunately, cannot appreciate the various concocted parfum that exist. Perfumes/Colognes/Deodorants, confuse my senses -similar to a slight inability to tell identical twins apart. Scent is highly personal, and it can be rather frightening (to me) that someone else could smell...like me.
Perhaps my sense of smell is not stronger than anyone else's, I am merely more aware of it.
No comments:
Post a Comment