Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Unexpected



I was first introduced to the Deftones in highschool via a friend who lent me the Queen of the Damned soundtrack. A little backdrop, before this turning point, my music diet was saturated with horrible Chinese pop. The kind with awful vocals and even more disastrous dancing. I'm not proud of it. But, when I heard 'change (in the house of flies),' I melted. It was haunting. Though I was hearing the song, I felt as if I were creeping through a house, and slowly, furniture, paintings, candles, curtains, windows begin appearing. And then an explosion of light bursts forth as the guitar kicks in. A breathtaking, delectable introduction.

Yesterday I got to hear this wonderful band live. If you know me, you'll know my love, obsession and desire for live music. Seeing the Deftones live was exhilarating. And what really completed the experience was this surprise and disbelief that I'd ever get to see them live. A disbelief that remained with me until the first wave of sound crashed against my body.

Maybe every once in awhile, we just have to surprise an older version of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment