Friday, May 24, 2013

Dream recall

I'm in a residential area. It's spring, and the sun is shining through the colored leaves (maybe it's fall then?). My bed is sitting out on the sidewalk. I think that it was an awful idea to put it out there -why would I want to sleep on the street? I move towards it and notice that my cover is gone. A man in a cap has it, he's crossing the street. I chase after him and tell him to give it back to me. He smirks, hands it back to me and walks away.

I look back at my bed. I figure I need to move it back into the house. I wonder how in the world I managed to move it outside by myself. I go back into the house and help my housemate move some fence with bottles of pomegranate juice stacked on it. I imagine them falling.

I walk back outside to find the man has now stolen both my covers and pillows. He's also drooled on them. I snatch them back from him.

Later, I go to grab coffee with someone else. The coffee shop has clear glass from the floor to ceiling windows and doors. We walk in and there's a somewhat open area then the register and displays. I ask if they have toffutti. Yes. I ask for a bagel with toffutti. The only one they have left already has jam on it. The man puts a layer of toffutti on top and then some more reddish things on it.


Wake up and I'm back on this world. People who know me have to sit through my extensive overly detailed accounts of sometimes mundane, other times absurd dreams involving zombies, pillow thieves, and apocalypses. During college, I forced myself to recall the dream from start to finish and ever since then have been able to have decent dream recall. It's fun to remember my dreams. It's as if I've experienced the impossible or improbable (the fear of being caught by a zombie, the awe of observing a hot-air balloon travel across a purple sunset while in some wooden, Ghibli studio steampunk style observatory).

It has come to my attention that my memory from dreams is better than that of reality. While only slightly true (ok..maybe more than slightly), it gave me the silly idea that perhaps, when I dream I'm dropped into some parallel alternate universe. I happen to remember things better from dreams because I'm actually from over there and not here. Maybe...maybe...

p.s. I've been watching a lot of Fringe lately.

No comments:

Post a Comment