Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Superheroes


I think too much. I worry over what I'm doing, where I'll be and what it all means. At the heart of it, I've lost my sense of self - a sense of purpose to the everyday. I am the type to rely heavily on my career and 'what I do' to define oneself. The focus, devotion and endurance required to finish my current project has overwhelmed other aspects of myself. It isn't just about growing older -something I joke about and have seriously considered at times, but about changing priorities, about losing a sense of meaning in the mundane.

So, I was in this spiral. The constant realization that my passion had faded, and my curiosity dulled gnawed at me. And I burdened those around me with complaints of the mundane. I stopped talking about the shapes of clouds, of the sweetness of cake, of the meaning of anything I'm doing. And then, I felt empty -because why am I really here at all?

Man of Steel was an amazing movie. Something quite different for a superhero flick, and beautifully shot -blending sound, color and camera flow to convey emotion. As the movie played, my worries were miniaturized. There's something about these kinds of movies that give me a renewed sense of direction. It's this sense of purpose. It's a reminder to myself that there could be amazing things out there, that I could be more than I am just now, and, most importantly, that my work must benefit others. I had lost this sense of wonder, imagination and hope in between parsing scripts and lamentations.

In other words, we don't have to become a 9-5 cog in the machine, working until the next paycheck. We should find and hold onto our passions, our "meaning of life", and retain that belief in superheros we long lost ago in 'growing up'.

No comments:

Post a Comment