Sometimes, I worry that I have early onset forget-everything syndrome. All day, I'm mentally prepping myself to go to store after work to pick up eggs, only to come home without any.
How about having read a paper over and over again, only to forget details when faced with the chance to save all of mankind?!?! Just kidding, no one trusts me with that kind of responsibility, but I do really forget about papers despite having read them more than once.
That's cool (not really), I can still function normally. I get home just fine, and there have been times when I've surprised myself. Just now, I remembered --- Remembered! --- why we decided not to buy tomatoes from the market. But, were I to evaluate my memory performance, I'd give myself a D - and not just because I grade on the high expectation father scale.
But, then, I'll be in the shower doing shower stuff and I'll remember reading Aristotle in the Butler library's computer lab, even the seat I was in. Or, way back when I was a kid and we went to Atlantic City and we were going down these empire state building tall escalators.
Most of these memories are utterly useless, and I wish I could barter them for more useful ones. French vocab? calculus?
Yeah, yeah, I know. Memories don't work like that. I'm not a neuroscientist so let me continue to be ignorant here. Let's just say, if I had a super power, I'd have the power of memory. Being able to recall anything from the recesses of mind onto the front line of action. Hrm... I think that's actually just what normal people have...




No comments:
Post a Comment